2020年10月3日土曜日

Afterword to "Llewyn the Cat"

This an an afterword to a short story “Llewyn the Cat”, which I published on Amazon Kindle in August 13, 2020.




About the location, inspiration, and model cat

I wrote “Llewyn the Cat” as a spin-off to a travel journey about a small port town, Falmouth, Cornwall, United Kingdom, “僕のファルマス滞在記(Boku no Falmouth Taizaiki, My Travel Journey in Falmouth), which I am currently working on. It had been as many as eight years since I wrote a decent long novel last. Therefore, I was in need of rehabilitation. “Llewyn the Cat” was perfect for it. I took the inspiration from a movie which I happened to be watching at that time, “Inside Llewyn Davis”, depicting a life of a legendary folk singer Dave van Ronk. The cat in my story was of course named from the movie. Later I learned “Llewyn” means a lion in Wales.

 

I found the model cat in “Saba-chan,” a feral, mackerel tabby cat fed and looked after in my neighborhood. I liked his round face, sharp, philosophy-like eyes, and extreme friendliness. He soon became attached to me, and would sit on my lap, purring. He was such a nice cat – so he would have never betrayed me just like Llewyn did in the story. At least I hope not.

 

About the message from the story

The message from “Llewyn the Cat” at the initial stage was transience of our daily life. Things taken for granted do not always or forever stay the way they are. Although the triggers vary(disasters, quarrels, timing, etc), something we always see, feel or experience can suddenly disappear, or someone we contact with almost every single day can go out of sight. That is why we need to treat things and people around us with more care and respect, which may sound like an ordinary message. This is a review I got from one of the readers:

 

“We believe our everyday life is permanent, but indeed, it is not.”

 

“Llewyn the Cat” has another storyline. It is also a story for people who are introverts. When writing the story, I wanted to learn about what introversive people always think and feel. The artist who drew the cover art of this book is a professional psychologist, and he offered analysis as follows:

 

“Sometimes people who are introverts or have social anxiety, they go through life expecting that no one will connect with them or like them. And so the man interprets the cat's behavior that way. First, assuming the cat doesn't like him, and then slowly gaining affection and connection. And then finally, he seems betrayed by the cat who just found another lap to sit on.”

 

Llewyn was found on the old lady’s lap instead of that of the man, but it was not because the cat grew bored of him or hated him. It just happened because of some wrong timing. The man, however, misinterpreted it and felt shocked. Furthermore, he decided to watch the two of Llewyn and the lady from a distance feeling like a loser for no reason, and then left the place. If he had ventured to say “hello” or something to the lady at least, the situation might have been a little or very different. And then, when the man visited the beach the following day, Llewyn, who would always greet him whenever he found his human friend, was completely gone. The man left for his country without any chance to say goodbye to Llewyn.

 

By the way, I had at first intended to include the sentence “If I had taken any action, things may have been a bit different…” in the story, but eventually I chose not to. As the author, I did not want to impose anything on my readers. I wanted to leave some room for my readers to judge on their own. And the judgement will vary according to each of them. At the end of the day, there is no “right answer” for the man’s action. Even if he approaches to Llewyn and the lady, or not, that is just his action, and the consequence only accompanies it.

 

So, what would you do if you were in the man’s shoes?


You can purchase the book from here:

US: https://amzn.to/31pPlo0
UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FD5KC6M
CA: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08FD5KC6M/
AU: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B08FD5KC6M


Or, you can search by "Yuka Kato Llewyn the Cat"!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿