2019年10月8日火曜日

Weather Warning and Morning Coffee


July 3, 2015

The heavy rain has been falling since this morning, and residents in my city are warned of landslide disasters and floods by an official weather warning. Still, I have to work. To drag my brain out of sulky drowsiness, I made myself a cup of steaming morning coffee.



My morning coffee does not mean anything luxurious though. It is just a cup of ordinary instant coffee. But it is even effective enough to get my mind ready to start working.



I am feeling a warm scent of coffee through my nose while listening to the fierce rhythm of the falling rain. My tongue does not accept hot food nor drinks, so I must wait a while till they cool down a little.



By the way, a combination of the sound of the rain and coffee scent always reminds me of my childhood on rainy days, especially the memories of those days when it rained too hard for me to walk to school.



It was a little late in the morning, but because of the rain which would not stop, my house looked dark as though I were floating under the sea. And it was fairly quiet, except for the sound of the rain drumming the ground. I may have heard my mother’s quiet voice relaying the news of the closed school to one of my classmates’ parents, and a weather report from TV.



Then, a scent of morning coffee that my parents would drink was brought to my nose. I could not drink it myself back then, but still, the fragrance was rather impressive to me. I could see the heavy rain falling outside, and could hear my mother’s voice and weather warnings from a distance. And the scent of coffee which was aromatic as if it assured me a little treat of a day off from school. The stage setting with all these elements was surely something for my childhood mind, even though I had a sense of guilt at my joy at the downpour, of course.



They say smell is more connected to memory than any other senses. That is probably why, whenever I have a cup of coffee on a rainy morning, I think about those days when the school was closed because of the heavy rain. The flashback of an endless loop where the rain grows strong and weak, my mother’s voice and weather reports which echo muffled in my ears, and the scent of hot morning coffee. They always bring me into mixed emotions of joyful expectation and a bit of guiltiness, even now.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿